Wednesday 8 December 2010

Gingerbread angels



This weekend we hosted a Christmas/goodbye party and I was looking for a cookie recipe that was festive, healthy and tempting enough for children. I didn't have to look far and came across this recipe for gingerbread men on my favourite food blog 101 Cookbooks. I love Heidi Swanson's writing and her culinary creations. I've discovered so many wonderful recipes for healthy and appetising dishes and she often features her own variations of the recipes I have in my own collection of cookery books.



Its the detail of her recipes that I particularly like and it was thanks to her exacting instructions in this gingerbread recipe that my angels came out just right. They are chewy but hold together well. The quantities were perfect and I managed to make enough for our party with about a dozen left over to take to the nursery Christmas party too.


I didn't limit my cookie cutting to the celestial but also used the Christmas tree shape to make a gingerbread forest! The children loved them and although the recipe was heavy on ginger and used a couple of cups of molasses(!), the cookies tasted intense but not overbearing and were enjoyed by all.


If the cookies look darker than traditional gingerbread cookies that one sees in the shops, that's because they're made with wholemeal flour. Yes, they really are healthy cookies. Thanks Heidi!

No comments:

Post a Comment